Time for another ST:Enterprise model – the Vulcan Surak Class. It’s a long needle like ship circled by a hoop housing the warp engine. It’s an interesting design that has been simply yet effectively reproduced by Eaglemoss.
It’s drably coloured in muted red with some darker squares of hull plating as well as a few details marked out in grey, yellow and blue. The accompanying magazine mentions that the Surak Classes are built for scientific or combat purposes and are coloured red or copper respectively. I think the model depicts a combat vessel, but I’m not entirely sure. Any comments agreeing or disagreeing with this appreciated. The neck attaching the hull to the hoop is the most detailed piece with rows of windows and red transparent plastic used for the impulse engines. You can see two shuttle bay doors in the picture below.
It’s a perfectly well made model but it’s not one of my highlights of the collection.
- Detailing: 3/5 (mostly plain, with some detail around the impulse engines)
- Construction: 4/5 (joins only obvious on the underside)
- Faithfulness: 4/5 (lacks some detail)
- Ship design: 3/5 (unique yet simplistic)
- Overall: 3/5 (interesting design not matched by anything else in the collection, but rather bland)
In my next post I’ll be reviewing the Klingon Bird of Prey from ST:ENT.