Of all the Federation ships in the collection this is, by far, the most disparate of them all. Only the Starfleet fighter has a passing resemblance to this class of ship, and no surprise really as this is a repurposed shuttle not intended for warfare. There is barely a curve on this blocky, angular ship, the prow being the only exception. This makes for a design that lacks the common design features that are recognisably Star Trek.
The warp nacelles are embedded in the sides of the hull and partially hidden by weapons wings and there is an array of chunky impulse engines at the rear. Both are well executed in the model with transparent plastic. There is barely an undecorated space on the hull as weapons, sensor arrays, grills and other obscure panels clutter the surface.
The underside is really well detailed and has an impressive dirty finish. In fact the worn, brushed finish across the entire model is excellent. Only a few parts are missing this effect – namely the bridge, middle sensor section and the weapons. I’m not sure but I think these are the only plastic parts.
This is a good return to quality after the disappointing Romulan Bird of Prey.
- Detailing: 5/5 (this ship lends itself well to being a very interesting model)
- Construction: 3/5 (few obvious joins or leaked glue)
- Faithfulness: 4/5 (not 100% accurate but good for its size)
- Ship design: 4/5 (not massively original, but a satisfying chunky design)
- Overall: 4/5 (really great well executed model with nice touches)