This is the second Romulan ship in the collection, the first appearing way back as issue 5, the Warbird. The good news we should be seeing at least two further Romulan vessels in the near future – the drone ship and the Valdore. This ship is based on the ST:Enterprise Bird of Prey, not the simpler, bird emblazoned ship from ST:TOS. However there are many similarities between the two. I suspect we won’t see the ST:TOS Bird of Prey due it’s simplistic design. Much like the Tholian ship from the previous issue the ST:ENT versions are a bit more sophisticated.
Unfortunately I’ve found the Bird of Prey a bit of a let down. The plain colour and lack of decals makes the model look like a Fisher Price toy. There are some painted window lights around the upper hull and prow and some of the panels have a darker, shinier green paint job, but that’s it. The only other colour is provided by the transparent turquoise nacelle inserts which do look quite good with light shining through them.
The design itself is rather nice and is instantly identifiable as Romulan even if you’ve never seen the ST:TOS episode it appeared in and the model appears to be faithful to that design. The nacelles don’t fit snuggly to the nacelle struts though, leaving a jarring gap that should probably be filled.
- Detailing: 2/5 (very plain and lack of decoration, but some transparent parts)
- Construction: 3/5 (nacelles don’t join well to the struts)
- Faithfulness: 4/5 (nearly perfect, but colour makes it look plastic-y)
- Ship design: 4/5 (great reimagining of a classic Romulan ship)
- Overall: 2/5 (its plainness just makes it unappealing)